Buying Cotton Products? 6 Reasons to Go Organic
More and more consumers around the world are interested in the social and environmental impact of the products they buy. At least one third of all shoppers pay attention to this when they are selecting items to purchase, according to research conducted by Unilever. When asked, at least 38% of millennials admitted they “respond positively” to brands that are more friendly to the environment. If you are looking to buy organic bedding, organic towels organic robes or other products, there are good reasons to do so.
- Your items will be free of harmful chemicals. A full quarter of all pesticides used on the planet are used in the production of traditional cotton. When you contrast that with how much is used to produce organic cotton, the health choice is clear. No chemicals, harsh or otherwise, are used to make organic products. These products are strictly regulated. When products have the “organic” label, they have to pass a number of inspections and meet certain criteria.
- If you have sensitive skin, organic cotton is better. The chemicals used in the manufacture of cotton can be very irritating to skin that is sensitive or for people who have allergies. When products are made from traditionally manufactured cotton, they are exposed to harsh and harmful chemicals at stages all along their path from the field to the store. They are treated with harsh pesticides and insecticides when they are in the field and then more chemical treatments and dyes follow once they are at the factory. Organic robes and clothing is dyed with natural dyes that are a lot more gentle.
- You are getting products that have less of a negative impact on the environment. In addition to lowering the amount of dangerous chemicals that are put into the world’s atmosphere and water supply, the process that produces traditional cotton uses more water. The techniques that are used in farming organic cotton mitigate their contribution to global warming by sequestering the carbon dioxide that is produced. Because organic fertilizers are used in place of those that come from petroleum sources, your carbon footprint is further reduced by buying organic cotton.
- You will get a better night’s sleep. The National Sleep Foundation has recommended that adults get between seven and nine hours of sleep every night. Most adults are usually not able to get that much sleep. Getting organic bedding products can help you get more comfortable at night and improve the sleep you get. This can do a lot to make you healthier.
- You will support fair treatment of farm workers. When cotton plants are treated with harsh chemicals, the impact that has on the workers who have to pick the cotton can be huge. Most of the people in the world who are responsible for picking the cotton that turns into the products that we all use, are in the developing world. At least 75% of cotton pickers are in these lesser developed nations. The chemicals that are used can be dangerous or deadly for these people. It is actually cheaper to grow organic cotton so the money that is not spent on nasty chemicals can be spent on living wages for the workers.
- Organic products are made better. Because the chemicals that are used to keep bugs away damage the cotton fibers, organic cotton is stronger and will last longer. When you opt for organic robes and other items, you are buying items that are going to last longer and be ore comfortable. Most of the time, when you buy items that are made from organic cotton, you will be getting clothing, bedding and other items that are just made better than those made from traditional cotton.
There are food products that are made with cotton. A lot of people do not think about that when they think of cotton products. Cottonseed oil is put into a number of food products so you should go organic there, too.
When you are looking for cotton products, opting for organic robes, towels, clothing and bedding can help you live a healthier life, do less to hurt the environment, help you get better quality goods and support fair trade around the world. These are products you can feel good buying.