Looking for Sheets? These 7 Tips Can Help
The National Sleep Foundation recommends that adults get between seven and nine hours of sleep each night but few people in the United States are able to do that. In fact, at least 42% of people get even seven hours of shut eye every night. Having the right bedding can make a big difference. Whether you are looking for organic queen sheets or other organic sheets, there are some ways you can make sure you get the right set for your lifestyle.
- Buy organic bedding products. Whether you get organic queen sheets or other kinds of sheets, it is important to get organic. This is because a number of sheet manufacturers add chemical softeners to their sheets and once washed, the sheets are much less soft. Even sheets with a higher thread count can be impacted.
- Look at the thread count. Most consumers know that when they are going to the store to look at sheets, the first thing they should ask about is the thread count. When sheets have a higher thread count, they can be more comfortable.
- Look at the weave. You have several options when it comes to the weave of your sheets. In this area, it is what you like, not what “experts” say that should guide your decision making process. The two main options are percale and sateen. If you are looking for a simple, clean and crisp feel, percale is the best for you. If you prefer a smooth feel that is more like satin, you should look to sateen sheets.
- Look at the materials. When you are buying your organic queen sheets, you need to pick a material that is right for you. The decision here is really about the climate where you live and what you like. Some people, in colder climates, like the feel of flannel. Cotton and linen can be cooling. Take some time to feel the different fabrics before you settle on one for your home and your family.
- Be careful about luxury sheets. Many people have heard that one of the best things you can do to get a luxurious sheet is to go for Egyptian cotton. That is true and the real deal feels great. The problem is that not all cotton with an “Egyptian cotton” label is authentic. Not only should the product be made in Egypt but they need to be made a certain way. When you buy this kind of cotton, make sure it is really what it claims to be.
- Measure your bed. It is important to get sheets that really fit your bed. This is not simple a question of putting organic king sheets on a king bed but measuring your bed and then getting sheets that fit correctly. The last thing you want to do is get sheets that are not big enough for your beds.
- Decide between plain sheets or ones with prints. Again, this is a matter of personal taste and style. Look at the other items in the rooms when you will use your organic queen sheets. You need your sheets to go with the furniture, other items (pillows, throw blankets, quilts) on the bed and with the look of your room. If you change your decor with the seasons, you may want to look into getting sheets with a seasonal theme.
Take the proper care of your sheets and bedding. After you have gone through your home, decided what sheets are best for your family, measured the beds, picked a patter and material and bought your sheets, there is still more you need to do. Wash your sheets in cooler water. Avoid using the high heat setting in your dryer. Avoid using fabric softeners (the chemicals can break down your sheets, you can use dryer balls that will have the same result but are better for your sheets). Doing these things can prolong the life of your sheets and all of your organic bedding.
It has been estimated that the average person will spend about 30% of their life in their bed. Making that time as comfortable as possible starts with getting the right sheets. Time spent picking the right ones will pay off in the long run.